University of Southern California

Graduate and Professional Education

Course Work Taken Elsewhere

Admitted students receive a transfer credit report showing unit and subject credit granted for graduate courses.

For course work taken at universities within the United States, the Degree Progress Department will prepare the transfer credit report. For course work taken at universities outside the United States, the Graduate Admissions Office will review the academic credentials and the academic department or program will determine subject credit granted.


The University of Southern California affirms the practice of accreditation of American post-secondary academic institutions by the six regional accreditation agencies: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, the Northwest Association of Schools and Colleges, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Acceptance of course work and/or degrees completed by undergraduate and graduate students applying to the University of Southern California will generally be based on accreditation by these six agencies. Certain graduate schools, seminaries, conservatories and professional institutions of national renown that are not accredited by a regional agency may be considered for graduate transfer work by the Articulation Office in consultation with the USC department, program or professional school to which the student is applying.

Acceptance of course work and/or degrees from post-secondary institutions overseas will be based on the recognition and approval of the college or university as a degree-granting institution by the Ministry of Education within the respective country.

Proof of Prior Degree

Students applying for graduate degrees conferred by the Graduate School must hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university comparable in standard to that awarded at USC. Students who have earned a master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution with a GPA of 3.0 or higher may have the baccalaureate degree requirement waived after review. Diplomas granted for a preponderance of life experience, portfolio or equivalency examinations are not considered appropriate preparation for acceptance into USC’s graduate degree programs and are not the equivalent of USC’s undergraduate degrees. Verification of a completed undergraduate degree must be provided before enrollment in a second semester at USC.